Wednesday 31 January 2007

Welcoming The Child


"Anyone who welcomes a little child such as this in my name, welcomes me; and anyone who welcomes me, welcomes not me but the one who sent me" (Mark 9:37)


What does welcoming a little child mean? It means giving loving attention to those who are often overlooked...


Yesterday I was stopped on the street by a beggar. He asked me for some change to buy a bite to eat. He didn't expect any response, but when I gave him ten dollars he jumped up and said, "Thank you, thanks you very, very much." He was extremely surprised by this large gift, but I suddenly felt a deep sadness. I was on my way yo a meeting I did not want to muss, My gift was an excuse for walking on. I had not welcomed the beggar - I had just tried to feel generous. My "generosity" had revealed my deep resistance toward welcoming the "little child"..


To welcome the "little child" I have to become little myself. But I continue to wonder how great I am. Even my generosity can help me to feel great. But Jesus said, "If anyone wants to be first, he must make himself last of all and servant of all.." (Mark 9:35). Am I willing to become the servant of this beggar? By giving him ten dollars I became his master, who could make him say, "Thank you, thanks you very, very much."


It is becoming clear to me that I still have not understood that Jesus revealed his love to us by becoming our servant, and calls us to follow him in this way.


- Excerpt from "The Road to Daybreak - A Spiritual Journey" by Henri J.M. Nouwen

No comments: